Aliens have abducted my husband. I’m sure it must be the case because this new person that they’ve returned in his place is a fitness fanatic. I even found a copy of Fitness lying around and I didn’t buy it!
It’s not a bad thing, though… Boys love their toys and my husband is a typical boy. He bought a Polar H7 Bluetooth Smart Heart Rate Sensor so he could track his progress and he bought an extra strap for me so that I could track my progress as well. Well, it was either a thoughtful gesture or it’s a strong nudge for me to start working out harder…
Polar H7 Bluetooth Smart Heart Rate Sensor
What does it do?
It measures your heart rate while you work out. All you have to do is wear the device around your chest with the sensor in direct contact with your skin over your sternum (like the lovely young lady depicted in the picture below from Amazon).
Using the Bluetooth function on your smart device*, you can connect your heart rate sensor with the Polar Beat App and track your exercise statistics.
You can set the settings to whatever exercise you’re doing – running, rowing, biking, etc.; whether you’re indoors or outdoors, – to track how hard you’re working out so you meet your goals more effectively. For instance, I’ve noticed that if you want to burn fat, it is actually very easy to exceed the necessary workout intensity level. If your primary goal is to burn fat in your workout, you might actually be missing the mark.
The Polar Beat app interprets your workout data, so you’ll know what your body has achieved and what to do to meet your goals more effectively.
The Polar Beat App helps you plan your training before you get started:
- Choose a training target – burn calories or beat a time or distance record
- Choose your activity
It helps you train at the right intensity so you can meet your training goals – real-time graphical recordings and voice guidance will help to keep you on track. You can track your distance, pace and route while walking, running or cycling.
You can analyse and understand your training session to see what you achieved with each workout – for example, whether you improved endurance, increased your strength, or burned fat. Polar Beat boasts the most accurate calorie tracking (although I don’t know how true this is).
There is even a training community at polar.com/flow to keep you motivated. You can aslo share your results with your friends on Facebook and Twitter.
The app comes free with the basic features but you can also purchase upgrades:
- Fitness Test – measures your fitness level in 5 minutes
- Energy Pointer – allows you to see the main effect of your workout in real time
- Benefit Target – set specific training targets
- Running Index – see how your running performance is developing
- Smart Coaching – a choice of unique, easy-to-use features, personalised to your needs and designed for maximum enjoyment and motivation when training
Polar Smart Coaching
* Smart devices include: iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (5th generation), iPad (3rd & 4th generation), iPad mini and iPod Nano (7th generation); or selected devices using Android 4.3 or later (like HTC: One, One M8, One Mini; LG: G2, Nexus 4, Nexus 5; Motorola: Moto G, Moto X; Samsung Galaxy: S3, S4 and S5, Note II, Note III; Sony: Xperia Z1)
Has it helped?
Well, I’ve been tracking my workouts for a nearly a month and it sort of does motivate you to work harder. I do think that the enthusiasm of my new fitness-loving husband has more to do with it, though…